Monday, October 24, 2011

Hap Hudson 5k recap

I know, I know, running has been a theme on the blog the past month or two, but this season is the best season for running and racing and it gets me all excited. And when I get excited about something, I am pretty obsessive about it!

So this last weekend, I ran the Hap Hudson Homecoming 5k at MC. This was my first race to do solo so I was a little bit nervous about that; but Eric and the kids were on the sidelines cheering me on so that eased my nerves a bit. I also had been having some shin issues and had not run in a week trying to get them well again. On race day, they felt pretty good though so i think sitting out that week was worth it.

The weather was perfect- chilly, but clear skies and no wind. The race started with a prayer (nice!) and a horn and we were off. Again, I took off maybe a tad too fast, but I just couldn't help it! It's kind of fun passing people and the only time I get the chance is right in the beginning when all the smart runners aren't blowing it out right at first:). The course was rolling, and winded through downtown Clinton and a neighborhood and ended with one lap around the MC track. First mile I did at a 7:01 pace. Second mile was 7:16. The last mile there was a pretty gross hill towards the end that did not agree with me. I looked down at my watch at one point up the hill and I was at like an 8:45 pace- yikes! I finished that 3rd mile at 7:34 and the last bit at 7:06. I didn't think I would like the last quarter mile being on the track but I kinda loved it! I wish I would have pushed it a little harder on the track and shaved off a few more seconds because that was the easiest part of the race, but I will know for next year! I am very happy with the experience I had- it was lots of fun and i felt great afterwards. I am not sure my exact time yet, but I know it was 22:40 something. I wasn't listening when they announced it and the race results aren't up on the Internet yet. But I did win 3rd overall for women and feel pretty good about that too.

I am so thankful that God gives me joy through running. It is such a blessing in my life right now.

Ps- the men's overall winner did it in 16 min and something. Wha???!!!??? How?

4 comments:

Dad said...

You just absolutely are rocking this whole running thing! So proud of your accomplishment and so happy for you.

Holly said...

So, I read your blog from time to time because it's linked to Sara Leach's whose I read from time to time. Anyway, 22.40, really? Wow! Very impressive!

Ashley said...

Dad- I got it from my father:).

Ashley said...

Holly- thanks! And thanks for stopping by!