Friday, February 11, 2011

HOMEMADE PRETZELS!

Several people asked about the recipe I used to make those yummy pretzels (i swear they are pretzels, even if they look more like rolls- I may have gotten frustrated rolling them out and not rolled them thin enough) yesterday, so here it is....

First off, I need to tell you something.  My homemade pretzels started with, errrr, ahem.....a bread machine to make the dough.  I know some of you may consider that "less" homemade, but if you knew how far I have come from the days of boiled chicken and canned greenbeans, you would be very very impressed. 

Anyway, if you have a bread machine, you just stick the following things in the machine:
1 cup of water
2 tsp of salt
1 tbs of packed brown sugar
3 1/4 cups bread flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

I have a dough/pizza dough cycle so I just put it on that and it kneaded it for me and let it rise for me for an hour or so.

If you don't have a machine and aren't sure how to make the dough, I found a comparible recipe here for the dough.

After the dough has risen, lay on floured surface and roll into 12 balls.  Roll each ball into a thin rod and shape into pretzel (make a U shape, twist ends together and fold inward).  Put on parchment paper, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425.  Place 2 inches of water in a wide saute pan and bring to boil.  Place 2 cups of water and 2 tbs of baking soda in small bowl and set aside.

Once pretzels have rested for 20-30 minutes, slide pretzels into boiling water 1 at a time (although I did more than 1 at a time to save time and didn't have issues).  Flip each after 1 1/2 minutes, letting boil for 3 minutes each total. (I cut this down to about 30 seconds on each side too because I am impatient and it was fine). 

Allow pretzel to cool on wire rack.  Dip each pretzel in the water and baking soda mixture and place back on parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake in oven until dark and golden, appr 15-20 minutes (I cooked mine exactly 10 and they were perfect, but mine may have been smaller than they were supposed to be, Idk). 

Slather the pretzels with melted butter and coat with your choice of topping, if any.  I did half of mine with cinammon and sugar and the other half with sea salt.  They were both yummy.

And there you have it- very easy except for rolling the thin rods out- there must be an easier way, but I sure don't know it!

 
They were really delicious. especially right out of the oven.  I am for sure going to be making this as a regular treat for my family!

No comments: