Tuesday, August 10, 2010

that girl

I am not that girl.  I don't wear cute aprons when I cook.  I don't even cook all that good to even warrant a cute apron.  I don't sew.  I can't even thread my machine.  I don't "craft".  And what I do create, I usually blame on Adler because it looks like something he would do.  I don't garden.  I just don't like having to keep things other than my children, alive.  I don't have an eye for design or fashion.  Truthfully, while I do enjoy looking at design and fashion ideas, when it comes to actually making decisions, its quite painful.

I am just not her.  You know, that girl.  But those are the things that I want to teach MY girl.  And to teach, don't I sort of need to have it together myself?  How in the world is Hazel ever going to know how to make Peking Duck boil water when her mother is deficient in all things homemade?  But then my sister, as always, laid it out for me.  I am not "that girl" because basically, I choose not to be.  So, I have, what, 5-6 years to get my act together before Z is old enough to start learning the basics?  I am SO going to be that girl, for her, but also for me.

But meanwhile, while I am tolling over becoming that girl, I am going to remember that there are other things that I already am that I want to teach my children.  I am that avid reader girl who makes weekly trips to the library.  I am that girl who loves to be outside with her kids and would spend sun up to sun down (during the spring and fall) at the park with them.  I am that girl who doesn't mind getting glue and paint and glitter all over the floor and herself in the name of an art project (even if its not particulary crafty!).  Its so easy to think of the things we are not.  I am going to remember those things I am when I start to compare myself to that image of the person I think I should be.

3 comments:

aunt vickie said...

If Z grows up to be like you... as you are this very minute... she will be a delightful and lovely young woman...

Wilson said...

Don't feel bad. I can't thread my sewing machine either. It really bites too, because I have lots of good ideas!

brittanydwhite said...

This was such a good post today. I'm inspired by you.