Sunday, March 7, 2010

Momentos

I am a firm believer in sticking notes or momentos like ticket stubs or even grocery receipts in books as I read them. I keep a lot of my books and will reread them over and over if they are good. Nothing makes me happier than to be reading and discover a receipt from 2002 for coffee. I think, "Oh, that was me, in 2002, buying coffee to drink while I read this book. I was on page 64."

A good friend of mine gave me a paperback that he got from a friend who got from a friend who got from who knows where. But its my favorite book on my shelf because every person who has read it made little comments in the margins or underlined words and phrases and stuck in between its pages little things like a tattered business card, plane ticket stub, and other little pieces of ordinary life. There is a school photo of a blonde headed beauty circa something like 1982 stuck in between pages 178-179 and I just don't know what I would do if she suddenly wasn't there when I got to that page. She is a friend, this mysterious girl, and she belongs right there between those pages.

So that leads into my happy thing #6- happiness is found momentos in old books.

And #7 since I missed yesterday- happiness is walgreens brand starlight mints- a beautiful marriage of butter and peppermint that just makes my tastebuds want to curl up in front of a fire with a snuggie.

No comments: