Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I said that?

With the much of the rest of the world, I have made yet another resolution this year to be more organized and to get rid of the gobs of unneeded stuff in my house.

So, go me, because last night, I organizing my books by genre and got rid of the books that I haven't formed deep attachments. That is, I started to do this, until I found some old journals, circa 1996-2001. So, I abandoned my cleaning for a little trip down memory lane. Chances are if you were a good friend, boyfriend or family member during this time period, I read about you last night!

Most of the entries were from 1999- 10 years ago. I really can't believe how clueless and dramatic I was just 10 years ago; and it is utterly shocking how much I have changed in such a short number of years. Its embarrassing, really. I wonder if my 40 year old self will be saying the same thing when I read my blog entries from now. Will I always cringe a little bit when I look back at myideas and thoughts on things from my not so distant past? Will I ever just reach a point of "getting it"?

I guess I don't ever want to finally reach a point where I can look back even a few years ago and say to myself that nothing has changed, that my views or ideas on things have not changed one bit. I would think that that may just signify the end of growth and of having an open mind to the things that are here to learn. But I really don't want to look back in 10 years and think that I had it ALL wrong and feel ridiculous for my 30 year old self as I do now about my 20 year old self. I don't know how I even tolerated myself back then. I feel that I sort of get what it means to live on the Earth, as a woman, Christian, wife, mother, and all those other things that I am. I am pretty sure I thought I "got it" back then too :).

3 comments:

aunt vickie said...

Ahhhhhhhh... but what fun...

I make those trips down memory lane, too, because I've kept journals off and on most all my life... some of the most interesting are the ones I kept during the 60s and 70s... I laugh (and sometimes cry)... and am amazed at how passionate I was about things that seem so "made up" now when I watch a movie about that time period...

Whatever you do.. don't get rid of those journals... they're priceless...

Mom Sandi said...

Enjoy every minute. Love every year as if it were your last. The kids will grow up much to fast and your views will change but each year will be the very best of every year before it.

Mom Sandi said...

Oh I forgot to say "keep writing"!