Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The world can end now.


Every year, around this time, I buy my first yearly bag of Necco Sweethearts Conversation Hearts. And then I buy my second, third, sometimes fourth bag before the Valentine's holiday is officially over. I look forward to this candy every year, about the time I start getting sick of candy corn.

So this year, I got my first bag. I ripped into it, expecting to be hit with that soft, sweet smell of, what is it, well just subtle sweetness. But it smelled like strawberry, like that strong strawberry bubble bath or something. Peering into the bag, my eyes were accosted by bright blue hearts, neons almost. And did I mention that smell? I started to feel sick. Something was very very wrong here.

And then I took one out of the bag and tasted it. What was that, green apple? And then another, sacrilege- its blue rasberry. AND they were soft, not slightly crunchy like I like them. What happened to my beloved hearts? The subtle hints of wintergreen and banana?

I thought maybe it was the wrong brand because their logo isn't anywhere on the newly designed bag. So I searched like 5 stores and came up with nothing. So to the internet I went and found this....

Here was their reasoning from their website:

*New Sayings & Colors
For the first time in 145 years, Sweethearts® discarded all its previous phrases and asked the American public to tell us how they express their love. The 2010 Sweethearts® are featured in bright and bolder new colors.

*New Flavors & Texture
All new flavors for 2010 Sweethearts® include Strawberry, Green Apple, Lemon, Grape, Orange and Blue Raspberry. The new Sweethearts® have been re-formulated to be softer and more fun to eat.

*New Line Extensions & Innovation
Sweethearts® new line extensions include Sugar-Free, Dazzled Tarts, En EspaƱol and Chocolate. This is the first time the company has put a DAZZLED© finish on TARTS.

Let me just go ahead and say it: they have really messed up here . These are truly disgusting. And it better be fixed before next Valentine's Day, or else.

PS- I know this is quite dramatic for a situation that involves candy. But anyone who knows me can tell you, I am pretty passionate about candy.

8 comments:

Sweet T said...

Thanks for the heads up on these before I bought a bag. Sometimes you just don't mess with the classic stuff. Hopefully, they will realize their horrible mistake and bring back the original hearts next year.

Mandy said...

NOOO! That stinks! Those are my favorite too and I haven't bought a bag yet this year. I guess I don't have to now, huh? That really annoys me that they did that!

britt said...

you and me both, Ashley, you...and me...both.

Mississippi Girl said...

That is just wrong! I was looking forward to my conversation hearts, but not anymore!!!

Melissa said...

your too funny! I am sad to tell you that i always hated the way they tasted so thanks for the post I might try the new ones. LOL!

aunt vickie said...

Ahhh...you said it, Tina... you just don'tmess with the classic stuff. Look what happened with Coca Cola... they had to go back to the old classic coke because there was such an uproar... I think maybe the uproar should begin right here... let's start the letter-writing and phone-call-making campaign... I'll call and write at lunch tomorrow...

WonderGirl said...

This was not how I wanted to start my day, Ashley. Terrible news. (Seriously.) If they dare to take out the "FOXY" phrase, I will have lost all faith in humanity.

I never got over the Blue M&M disaster in the 90's. They just don't taste the same to me anymore, with that garish addition to the package.

Why mess with a good thing??? They'll never learn.

Anonymous said...

We can do something about this! Contact Necco at http://www.necco.com/ContactUs/Default.asp to complain - maybe if enough people express their disappointment they'll change them back!