Monday, January 18, 2010

Sleep

Why can't she do this for longer than an hour and a half at a time? For the last 8 days, Hazel has been up at night every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and needs nursing and rocking to get back to sleep. And during the day, 2 naps around 30 minutes each.

She is perfectly content with this, but I am slowly withering away. I feel like the mother of a newborn right now, you know, that foggy, unaware state you walk around in, your eyes feeling like someone is shooting a blowdryer right in them, and your bones actually feeling 102 years old. Come to think of it, she slept more than this when she was a newborn.

I just don't know what to do. I mean, I guess I do know what to do, but I don't want to do it. I have been holding off because I was thinking this was just a phase, a developmental thing or something and she would go back to only waking 1 or 2 times a night, but now I am not so sure...I think I may have to do a little sleep training this week and I am DREADING it. Not only do I hate to even think about letting her cry it out, even for just a few minutes at a time, but I don't want it to keep Adler awake either as their bedrooms are right beside each other. Not fun at all.

But things need to change, and quick. Momma needs her sleep!

3 comments:

aunt vickie said...

oh, honey, i'm praying for you all...

Wilson said...

So sorry..I can definitely relate to having two right next to each other and when one starts crying...you worry about waking up the whole house. Does Adler sleep with a sound machine? I'd recommend letting him sleep with some white noise for a couple of weeks and pulling his door shut. I know it's hard to let them cry it out, but it sounds like she's starting to get used to those middle-of-the-night feedings. My mom told me once that no baby ever died from crying. I know it's hard though...stay strong!

Taylor & Krisa said...

Bless you! If you don't feel like you're dying from lack of sleep you'll feel like you're dying from listening to your child cry. It will be worth it, though. Hang in there!