Tuesday, April 15, 2008

HC Porter

Adler and I spend a few hours downtown Saturday because the weather was beautiful and decided to stop by the HC Porter art gallery. She is an amazing artist who mainly depicts southern African American culture in her artwork. She is currently exhibiting a collection called "Backyards and Beyond" which shows us not only the pictorial devastation of Hurricane Katrina on the MS Gulf coast, but of the perseverance and strength of Mississippians. Alongside of the artwork, you can view a video that tells the stories of her subjects. It was very moving. If you are in the Jackson area, you can check out the exhibit at the Mississippi Art Center Mar 8-Jun 8, 2008.

On other news, I need your help out there. Adler has decided that he is scared to take a bath. Its shocking because ever since he was born, he loves bathtime and cries when he has to get out. A few nights ago, he threw a toy out of the tub, a big no-no in our house, and I gave him a stern no with my mean face. He started crying and did not stop until he got out of the tub. I chalked that up to his dramatic personality. However, ever since then, every time I put him in the tub he cries until he gets out. Last night I stuck my feet in with him and he clung to them and was happy and playing until I got out, then he started crying again. I guess I tramatized him when I scolded him! Anyway, have any of your kids been scared of the bath, and if so, how did you change it? Note- its not running water that scares him, its the being in the tub part. Its almost like a separation thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you can distract him a few times during the next couple baths, he'll lose the negative association. Try some bubbles! Get him all excited about it, talking about it beforehand, so that he'll look forward to getting in. Just a thought.

Don't feel bad though-- at least you know your "no" is effective! He'll get over it, and it doesn't mean you shouldn't have said it. You can't predict when they'll get squirrely on ya.

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

awwwwwwww... poor baby... poor mommy... ((((((((hugs)))))))

I babysat with a friend's two-year-old one time who was scared of the shower and that's all they had... it might have been a running water thing... but I kept her for five days while my friend and her husband went on vacatio... I took her in the shower with me because I was afraid to take a shower and not have her in my sights... played and sang and made a game out of it... and held her in my arms the first two or three times, then she wanted down but held on to my legs... and by the time they came home, she didn't cry... altho I admit I never did put her in there by herself...

Might be Adler has to take a bath with Daddy or with Mommy (yes, you can wear your swimsuit)...