Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Reading


So, I am doing some reading and wanted to share. If there is not a link below, look in the "Books I'm Reading" section for the link...


Just finished:

"Drowning Ruth" by Cynthia Shwartz
Shwartz did an excellent job with her debut book. Its a beautifully tragic tale of sisters and how the glue that binds them shapes their lives. She gives bits and pieces of a family secret through out the story, of life and death and the details in between, until finally at the end the pieces are all put together. Her descriptions of the changing seasons of Wisconsin leave me wanting to hear the cold crunch of snow beneath my boots and the feel cool splash of Lake Nagawaukee on my legs.


"Shopoholic and Sister" by Sophia Kinsella http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/kinsella/

This is chit lit at its best. I admit that I like to indulge in the good beach read from time to time and this whole Shopoholic series has me hooked. There is really not much to say about it other than its witty, relatable, and fun all around!


"Fried Green Tomatoes" by Fannie Flagg

Not going to say too much about this one- I thought I would like it because I read "Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man" in high school and liked it, but, sadly, I thought the movie was much better than the book. I just didn't like the Flagg's writing style nor the cliched way she depicted us southern folk. AND- I totally had no idea that Idgie and Ruth were gay. Was that in the movie too?


Lastly, "The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien

I think I may have been a foundling left on my parents steps. I surely can't be related to the Whites because, I.Just.Can't.Get.Into.This.Book. There I said it. I am ashamed, but its true. I am going to have to give up and just admit I am not a fantasy book fan. I thought I was because I love the Harry Potter series and I love the LOTR movies, but I think those are exceptions. Sorry, Dad, I know I have disappointed.


No comments: